World of Warcraft is known globally by almost every computer user, whether they are an adult or teenager. This is because WOW, which is also known as World of Warcraft is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG). A company called Blizzard Entertainment created the game in 2004 making it the fourth of it’s kind. The game was initially released November 23rd 2004 and is compatible on Macintosh, OS X, Microsoft Windows and Windows Vista and has won many awards such as:
- VGX Award for the best PC game
- VGX Award for the best RPG game
- VGX Award for Most Addictive Video Game
- Technology & Engineering Emmy Award for Outstanding Achievement in Video Gaming Technology and Applications
World of Warcraft is the fourth released game that has been set in the fantasy universe that is known as Warcraft, the universe was previously created in 1994 in a game called Warcraft: Orcs and Humans.
World of Warcraft is truly living up to hits potential with over 10million subscribers as of 2014 in November and is currently known as the worlds most-subscribed massively multiplayer online role-playing game, while the developers profited over 10 billion dollars by July 2012. In January 2014 there was announcement that more than 100 million accounts had been created over the games lifetime since it’s initial release.
The game consists of exploring the landscape, fighting monsters and completing quests as well as interacting with non-player characters while controlling a character avatar within a game world while using either third or first person view. Before you can even start the exploring you must pay for a subscription and to enter a game the player must select a server, which is known as a realm in the game.
There are several different types of realms such as:
- Normal – Player vs. Environment, it’s where you’re more focused on defeating monsters and completing quests.
- PvP – An environment where you can defeat monsters, complete quests and play against each other online.
- RP – a variant of PvE, where player’s role-play in-character.